Sunday, February 7, 2010

Why, Heaven? Why?

Here's the deal: The art world, and creative sphere in general, is incredibly daunting to me.

When a new artist is presented to me, say in class or in my own searching, it is both very exciting and discouraging. I tend to think, when learning about an artist, "how can I reach that level of competence?" (in terms of my own creativity, and ability, and knowledge.) I guess, everyone is their own worst critic, yes?

When asked about my creative influences, I can certainly think of them in my mind, but cannot name or label the artist, or their style. This is bad. I need to shape up my knowledge of all of these creative geniuses out there, and borrow from their influences. I want to use this blog as a tool to overcome this cluelessness that I have, and sort out what I "like" from what I dislike.

So. The main purpose of this blog, or mission statement even, is this: To help Heaven define and expand her knowledge of her personal likes and dislikes within our world's creative past and present.

That's not to say that I will not post on other subjects. I like to talk a lot. It is inevitable.

But please, to whoever comes across this blog in their internet travels, feel free to suggest/critique/inform/encourage me. I am totally open to new discoveries and understandings. If you have an artist that you like, a product that you create, or a song that you enjoy, I would like to hear about it. It helps me continue to broaden my knowledge.

Here goes nothing!

P.S. I'm working on the overall aesthetic feel of this thing. It takes time. I am notoriously picky.

3 comments:

  1. I agree completely! I'm on the same mission of life at the moment... And for new discoveries, have you heard the band, Tegan and Sara? Quite phenomenal... they have guided me through the past year, I suggest you give them a listen :) -KenzieEnlightened

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a few Tegan and Sara songs! They are pretty good! I will have to listen to more of them. Good luck on your own art mission!

    ReplyDelete