Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Finally, y'all.

I finally decided to post some of my recent(ish) artwork on this "art" blog. Feel free to critique, question, and comment.

Pigeons Are Heroes

So sorry about the poor image quality. It's the best I can do with a camera that has been run over by a car in the past.

Anyway, these are 3 out of 5 paintings I did for Studio Painting class during winter quarter 2010. Medium: Acrylic on woodpanel.

The series is called Pigeons are Heroes because...they are. So many people take these beautiful birds for granted, not considering how they are intelligent, sweet creatures. They have gorgeous feathers, often times with glossy green, purple, and magenta patterns. They are related to doves, which are often associated with romance and beauty, but most people associate them with disease and dirt. Most interestingly, in the past, pigeons have saved the lives of soldiers during wartime, delivering important messages through the midst of gunfire, sometimes arriving with shattered legs and wings. I wanted to portray pigeons in semi-romantic wartime situations...one bravely profiled, a couple saying their goodbyes, and a battalion arriving safely home (or, confidently setting out to battle).

More recently, I arranged some leftover gouache swatches into a fun design, just for the heck of it. In Color Theory class, we had to match self-made gouache swatches to a corresponding Color-Aid swatch, and additionally match the Color-Aid swatch to it's value in grayscale. It was exhausting, and I ended up with a lot of swatches that didn't match. I saved them, and this is what came about.

5 comments:

  1. I had no idea you were so talented! If you were closer I would commission something from you because I need more not-from-Urban-Outfitters art.

    What do yo plan on doing with the paintings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jessica! I plan on continuing to work on the pigeon paintings, then keeping them. I'd definitely paint something for you if you wanted...maybe something on masonite? Or canvas panel? Or watercolor? Those are thin and relatively lightweight, so sending it wouldn't be an issue. Let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Finally! :P

    I'm very impressed. Your paintings seem very thought out and especially after reading your description, I liked you work even more.
    Smart idea by portraying the pigeons in familiar wartime situations. It definitely added complexity to your pieces (the first one is my favorite, by the way).

    I would love to see more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE LOVE LOVE them! esp the first one.. its my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG heaven you're such an amazing artist! WOW! i love these, especially the second one. you should open an etsy shop or something!

    ReplyDelete