Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Oh, joy.

Today's airport experience hasn't been as pleasant as the others.

Yes! I am at the Seattle Tacoma International Airport! Today I am flying home, to spend nine days in charming Grass Valley. I hope to see lots of friends, get very tan, and enjoy my family. My mom had a baby about a month ago, so I get to finally meet my new little brother, Sky. And I get to play with my current favorite brother, Blaise. My first Californian meal is going to be In N Out burger, because it's been about 11 months since I've had one. (which is blasphemy). I can't wait to go to the river...get burned...see my old kids at Hennessy...hug my mom...gosh I am so excited.

BUT I MISSED MY FLIGHT.

Yes, I did. How many times has this happened to me? Like 4 or 5 times? Granted, one time I did miss my flight due to hospitalization (I'll tell you that story another day), but really...I tried my best to catch my 7:20 am flight on time, I really did! I even slept at a friend's house in Belltown so I could walk to the light rail instead of taking the bus to the light rail. I woke up at 5:15 and got ready in less than 1/2 an hour! (record time). I caught the light rail (early) at Westlake station even though I had to carry my horrendously heavy duffel bag. Everything was going according to plan, until I got to the bag check in line at SeaTac. With only 1/2 an hour to my flight, and about 20,000 people in front of me, I couldn't make it. And no, I never carry on bags, because I simply cannot pack light. That, and there is no way in hell that all of my liquid makeups combined can fit in one ziploc bag.

Really cool mural found at the Westlake Station tunnel, taken before I missed my flight/got stressed & stuff.

Usually when I miss my flight, I take it in stride. "Oh well," I usually think, "now there's more time to people watch and sip tea!" Or, for example, if I miss a flight in San Diego, I can usually just catch a friend to come pick me up to spend an hour or two with to kill time (the wait there is never long. Never.)

But this time I am frustrated. I am only home for 9 days instead of my usual 10, and I'll be spending most of day 1 stuck in the airport, sans-family/friends. That is disappointing to me. I really miss home. I need California. I've been working so much, it's like my summer vacation didn't start until last night at 10, when I got off of work and literally skipped around the streets of Seattle because I was so excited.



Oh well. For now, I pacify myself with a grande soy white mocha, and the prospect of browsing Fireworks for hours.

P.S. I totally agree.

2 comments:

  1. Heaven! I feel like half the flights I've been booked for I missed! I've gotten a lot better about it, but seriously, sometimes you get there early and there is NO ONE and you are super early and waiting around forever, then othertimes you get there at your normal early and there are a million and one people there and you miss your flight. Its one of those things you can't really predict :( I am assuming that you are home now and have fulfilled many things on your list of things to do so far this trip! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see some photos of your darling little brothers! And I really hope that I am able to see you on Friday! Enjoy your trip, don't let anything bring you down :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the Seattle airport when I was there for a layover once, hopefully I can visit it again sometime soon : )
    I know what you mean by the San Diego airport, it's like magic! I wish you had a reason to fly here so I could keep you entertained in the airport. Sacramento is soo boring and small.

    ReplyDelete