Wednesday, September 29, 2010

hurr

I want to dye my hair.

I never have been so keen to dying my hair as I am at this point in my life. As some people know, I have kind of a beautiful natural haircolor. (ahem)

Okay I'm not bragging! But I mean, I am lucky to have a hair color that suits my skintone, is shiny and has some subtle natural highlights. In the sun it shines red, and after summer is through I usually get a few caramel strands, which I like. I haven't dyed my hair, ever. (No, getting insanely natural highlights in 8th grade doesn't count, and neither does the red color gloss that washed out in 6 days.) In general, I am satisfied with my haircolor.

But there is a part of my that has always wanted to go a liiiittle bit crazy. Make my hair more edgy. Be a little spontaneous. Hair is so important to women, it truly is their pride and joy. I feel like this is why hairstyles and haircare is so important to almost all women, whether they are glammed up shopaholics or don't even wear chapstick, they all desire healthy, soft, smooth, shiny, managable hair! Whether it's a pixie or untouched by shears, we really define ourselves through hair.

Perhaps is this The Rebellion sneaking up on me again? I think so. Here are the ideas of how I would like to edge up my hair:

Gray-

Seen on everyone from Kelly Osbourne to Proenza Schouler's Spring 2010 runway, gray hair has been in. I actually think it may be getting a tad passe now, but nobody in Seattle has been sporting it so I may just be an anomaly after all (woo!).

Gaga had it. It was gorgeous. The reason why I love gray is that it is unexpected. Close to white, sometimes hinting at lavender or blue...gorgeous.



Observe Pixie Geldof, with more platiunum gray locks, and darling Tavi Gevinson. Tavi is like, 13. If she can dye her hair gray, so can I. (Note: I would not dye my entire head gray. Just do some artful streaks.)

Lavender-
Kelly again, transitioning from Lavender to Gray. Um, how insanely sophisticated does this hair look? It is amazingly flattering. Who knew purple could step outside the bounds of hot topic groupie to total perfection? Now, while this lavender color could also "interact" with gray, I could just go the basic route...

Yeah Gaga, work it girl. This color is just as pretty, and not as neon as other purples. Less lavender though and more lilac.

Blue-


Tavi again, interviewing Diane Von Furstenburg, sporting periwinkle locks. Sigh.

Pink-

LOOK AT THIS PASTEL! Doesn't it just make you melt? It makes me think of cotton candy...beautiful. Shiny. Feminine. And not nasty bright pink. Although...

I want this girl's bright pink locks terribly. Maybe it's the carefully done ombre effect that gets me. Maybe it's the fact that it isn't covering her whole head, and that her hair isn't disgustingly straight, pinned back with a bow clip, and that she isn't wearing black skinny jeans w/ chains on them/an Invader Zim shirt. Huuum. Anyway she's gorge, and I wanna be her.

Dying the ends-

Again, Proenza Schouler Spring 2010. Ombre hair has been in for months...but taking advantage of it in shades of purple and green would be a refreshing twist.

Multi-
Last but not least, Gaga is rockin the multi-colored look, with shades of blue and pinkish-purple bleeding into her flossy locks.

Katy Perry, in perhaps what the most accurate representation of what my hair would look like, adds bright magenta, light pink, along with aqua and violet to her dark hair.

So many options, readers. What to do? Who will dye it? Will my hair fall out? Will it cost an arm and a leg? I want to do it irregardless.

3 comments:

  1. A couldn't agree with you more. Women + hair = identity.

    I love the grey or lavender idea. I think those colors complement your natural hair color and skin tone.

    Hombre hair is neat and on the edge of trend! It's a really bold move. Perk: You wouldn't have to worry about your roots showing or it growing out awkwardly.

    Keep us updated on your progress/decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the first photo of Katy Perry for your hair change! Well either of her looks really. Maybe because I felt like the whole head color can be such a change if you haven't ever dyed your hair before. And also because I don't really like the look of half a head of natural and the bottom half a crazy color. The way Katy did it was playful, daring, but still not crazy weird :) I hope you go through with it! I need to get a hair trim. Ugh, and I've been so tempted to chop my locks off for a sweet short look. But it took so long to get it long, and I like it, it's just when I don't have the time to do anything to it and it's always in a ponytail I get bored with it :P Maybe Aurora could do something for you on your next visit home, doesn't she do hair?

    ReplyDelete
  3. DO IT! that would be so exciting. i want to live vicariously through your transformation! i've been loving the gray and lavender looks myself...although since you have dark hair, you might have to bleach it first and then dye over the bleach, which would be more drying... but if you get an experienced hairstylist and if your hair is already healthy (which it seems like it is!), then i bet you'll be ok!

    ReplyDelete