Sunday, October 10, 2010

strange?

This will be a post for my most loyal of followers, who don't mind reading about personal quirks and things like that.

I feel sick. "Gee Heaven, you seem to get sick a lot," you might say. YES. Yes I do get sick a lot. It is as if my body is a magnet for all the newly mutated viruses that it hasn't built up antibodies for. "Hey virus you're new in town? Come on into Chateau le Heaven and hang out for a while!" (that is basically what happens).

So anyway, even though I'm sick, I went to fulfill my 8 hour shift at work yesterday. From 2 to 10 I tried my best to survive on tea, spaghetti (the lunch that I packed) and cough drops. Near the end of my shift, one of my newer co-workers offered me a ton of vitamins to take that would help me get better. Ok, I know you're thinking, "Vitamins? Are you stupid? Those could be drugs or something!" Well, they weren't. Apparently this guy is really into vitamins and spends about $80 every 3 months on them. So he took out his vita-stash (a Men's Health mini duffel bag) and gave me about 10 different suppliments! (Another note of caution: they were all in actual bottles, not little ziploc bags or anything). Do you, gentle reader, believe in suppliments? To a large degree I do. I guess growing up in a family that frequented the health food store has taught me a lot about what's out there. The effectiveness of some of the suppliments I took is debatable, but I did take some all around good ones: multi-vitamin, fish oil, B-complex...

I'm not sure how immediately effective they were, but it couldn't hurt. It was strange to pop about 10 different suppliments in a row while standing at the register (it was slow, no one was around, but I couldn't help but feel like it was somehow sketchy? ha). It did make me realize though how I need to take better care of myself. Let's face it, I don't exactly eat the healthiest, so that can't be good in terms of nourishing my body, and preventing illness. Maybe I should start taking a good multivitamin, and something to boost my immunity.

After my shift, I came home and began my three loads of laundry. Basically, I needed to wash everything that I owned. Every towel, every item of clothing, even my blue snuggie needed a freshening up. So during commercials on Saturday Night Live I ran downstairs to the laundry room to put in a new load. Unfortunately, 2 out of the 4 washers in my apartment complex are broken, and the third was being used. So I basically had to wash all three loads in a row (38 minute wash cycles x 3 = 1 hour and 54 minutes). Add to that one 52 minute drying cycle and that equals...a long time. I set my alarm for each cycle and slept in between them, but when it came around to 3 am (when my final load in the dryer was done) I could not get up. I basically just camped out on the couch, amid my folded towels and freshly laundered blue snuggie, and slept. I had a dream in which I microwaved my iPod. (It was scary.) I woke up twice during my sleep, when each of my roommates came out to get ready for work and church. I said hi and then went to sleep. Waking up in the living room is strange.

I finally woke up at around 11, unshowered, final load of laundry still in the dryer downstairs, sore arm for sleeping on the couch weird, groggy from tons of suppliments and sickness...yesterday was very strange.

1 comment:

  1. Oi! Heaven, that sounds (um) strange/scary.

    Ted tries to get me to take vitamins, but with
    my forgetful self it usually doesn't happen.
    Instead of strange dreams, I get terrible stomach aches (mostly because I take 'em on an empty stomach).

    Get better soon!!

    ReplyDelete