Sunday, March 7, 2010

Henri et Claude

Two Thursdays ago, I was able to go to the Seattle Art Museum, which is always a delight for me.

I just love museums. I love them. They positively make me tingle. Being in the presence of so much art and creative process and history honestly fills me with energy! So, even though I was required to go as part of my art history class (somehow makes everything fun, less so), I was happy to be spending a couple hours amongst art of excellence, not stuck in a dimly lit classroom.

So, the two paintings that stuck out to me the most, were right next to each other. Paysage d'Hiver aux Bord de la Seine by Henri Matisse and Fishing Boats at Etreat by Claude Monet.

 

Claude Monet

Ok, I couldn't find the painting by Matisse online. Which is really frustrating...I feel like if a piece exists, and is known to belong to a significant artist, and is in a major city's museum, then a copy should be available online. Anyway, the Matisse and the Monet were placed right next to each other, and it was a beautiful pairing. It made me happy to observe them both together.

If you know me, you probably know that I have loved Claude Monet since about age 6. When I was a kid, the only poster that I owned was a Monet water lilies print. I had a video that I enjoyed watching called "Linnea in Monet's Garden," a sweet cartoon about a young girl who travels to Monet's gardens at Giverny with her nice old man neighbor/mentor. I was given a giant pop up book of Monet's gardens, along with some fancy coffee table books and postcards of his gardens and artwork. I've had a great relationship with this artist, for about 17 years! Seeing any Monet piece makes me feel kind of nostalgic, along with the fact that I really love his artwork in general.

Anyway, seeing art in real life is so much better than seeing it on a screen! It is emotional and tangible. 

When I saw Monet at the Legion of Honor in San Francisco in 2006, I truly realized this. This exhibit was a dream come true, and seeing every brushstroke, every impasto dab, and his choppy signature made me feel electrified. I cried.

Monet's Brushstrokes

The pass that I used to get into the SAM with my class is good until the middle of this month, so I hope to take full advantage of it! Plus, the pass is good at the Asian Art Museum and the Olympic Sculpture Park. I predict an art filled week...

2 comments:

  1. i've never visited the seattle art museum but hope to go in the near future. when i was little i was obsessed with the book "Linnea in Monet's Garden"... thanks for bringing me back there. cheers, ML

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that I'm not the only person familiar with Linnea! It is a very sweet story indeed.

    ReplyDelete