Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Hazards of Love 4 (The Drowned) - The Decemberists

But I pulled you and I called you here
(Didn't I? Didn't I? Didn't I?)
And I caught you and I brought you here
(Didn't I? Didn't I? Didn't I?)
These hazards of love
Never more will trouble us



I have been noticing how, upon life changing circumstances, songs have an entirely different significance. This is apparent to me every day. 



(If anyone has not listened to the album The Hazards of Love by The Decemberists, you should, it is an epic.)


How to Survive a Trainwreck by Day of Lions is particularly speaking to me, although I cannot seem to find the lyrics, nor the song itself online...strange.


Embarassingly, Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead O'Connor is another song that has been completely redefined. Even though Sinead is typically seen as "off" sort of person, shaved head/tearing up the Pope's photo and all, no one can deny the emotion that is brought about by her performance. The simplicity of the images, the strong and direct eye contact are powerful. I feel confronted by her, and her situation. Not to mention, the song is beautifully written and performed. I have always thought this about the song (although I would usually listen to the Hawaiian version sung by The Coconutz), but now I have no desire but to listen to Sinead's version. I enjoy feeling in sync with the emotion of the song. 


And again, I realize that this song has different meaning to me now than it did 3 weeks ago, as so many things now do.

4 comments:

  1. I really wish I was able to come up there and you could show me around. Girl time is good. I'm sorry that I can't be there right now. It makes me sad what you are going through right now. With each new life experience I hear some songs in a different light :) Its like rediscovering songs that you already thought you knew... I love you and I miss you :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you happen to have a copy of the Days of Lions song? Ive been looking for this song for forever. I would be GREATLY appreciated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber! I do! what's your email address, I'll send it to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gracious! :) why thank you lovie. visionadesigns@gmail.com I used to have it when i was dating a boy from oregon Gena used to do shows in his town all the time. Thanks again wonderful!

    ReplyDelete