Sunday, April 25, 2010

Can I get a "what what"?: Part 1

Lately I have been the happy recipient of some great "bonuses." For some reason, whenever this happens, this rap song lyric pops into my head..."Can I get a 'what what'?" Not sure why...I don't even know what song that is.

Mystery solved, it's from the Jay-Z song "Can I Get A..." Not sure how I am familiar with this song, but it seems fitting.

Anyway, a representative from Winsor & Newton came to my school to demo some new acrylic paints for my illustration class. My art teacher knew that we'd be interested in the demo and info session, simply because we'd be given free paints at the end. (She was right. Paint is expensive and we are all poor, private school students). We each got 3 full size tubes of artist's quality acrylic paint, one small tube of artist's acrylic, and acrylic matt medium. (P.S. I'm not sure why they spell matte as "matt." I've never heard of that before). The representative asked us a lot of questions about the paint, and since I answered a lot of questions (not because I am a goody-two-shoes, but because I have heard lectures on paint binders and pigments before and therefore knew what she was talking about), I got an additional full sized tube of acrylic paint! Here are the colors I got, plus the medium:

      
Napthol Red Medium, Permanent Rose, Azo Yellow Medium, and Phthalo Blue Red Shade. Cha ching!

The potential of these paints is really exciting to me. The woman demonstrated how easily mixable the three main sample paints would be. (Permanent Rose, Azo Yellow and Phthalo Blue Red Shade). Usually when mixing so called "primary" colors in order to get "secondary" colors, one becomes frustrated when their green looks dull, and their purple looks muddy. These specific shades don't really have that problem, so we, as sampler students, can experiment with mixing colors easily! That was thoughtful of them. Also, these paints are artist's quality, (as opposed to student grade) and loaded with pigments. I hope I can find some time to play around with them, and hopefully create something semi-decent, that doesn't need to be graded.

Stay tuned for part two of "CIGAWW", or, "happy bonuses."

4 comments:

  1. how exciting! I love free things :) I am really hoping to get a package out to you soon. I have made that thing for your friend, and I have some eye shadow primer that I got (I received two) for free and wanted to send you. And there seems to be something else that there was... but I haven't made it out to the post office yet. I have been so busy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! The representative was smart to bring tangible and usable art supplies to "staving artists" or worse "starving art students".

    Ted always tells me that acrylic is an easy and fun medium for art. I hope you come to a similar conclusion.

    P.S. I would love to see your art some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite medium is watercolor and gouache, but I have grown into enjoying acrylic! I think having liquid medium will help me in understanding exactly how acrylic works.

    Oh yes, I need to photograph my pigeons and post them here! I'm on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes Heaven! I really want to see those pieces! I've never used acrylic, I wonder how different it would seem to me from oil paints. I like watercolor because it dries so much faster! And I like to do more then one section at a time. I like to sit down and do a whole piece. I don't really like making pieces that require me to come back to it several times. I'm not patient enough for that. I become disinterested I suppose :)

    ReplyDelete