Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Duwamps

During the past hour and fifteen minutes, I have felt the most Seattle-ish than I have ever felt. Plus, I accomplished many things. Let me walk you through it.

First, I headed to Fremont for a meeting with my Craigslist job. I was supposed to meet them at 1, at by 12:57 I still had not left my apartment. (Fremont is about a 15 minute walk from where I live). I decided, on a whim, to ride my bike instead. I don't have a bike lock, so I never ride my bike alone, since I don't want it to get stolen. But I decided to do it anyway.

This is when I started to feel like a true Seattleite. It is an unseasonably warm, sunny day. I pedaled out into the sunshine and wham, it was magic. I realized that I love to bike.

Pause along the canal. I only had my phone camera so these pictures aren't the best.

(side note: I wore my hair in a large knot on the top of my head. This style is typical of the male Seattle hippie with long hair and/or beard, and even though I am not a man, I had fun "not caring" about what people thought of my hair.)

I got there, and told them that I couldn't handle the work load, and that I had to quit. They were really understanding about it, so I left the office feeling good.



Next, I decided to purchase a bike lock. If there are more sunny days like this ahead, I'm definitely going to need one. After checking at a local bike shop, (Wright Brothers Cycling, they were so helpful and nice. Photo here.), I saw that their locks were a little out of my price range. I decided to bike to Fred Meyer in Ballard.


 Piggy watering cans, found at Fred Meyer.

I have NEVER been to Fred Meyer. For those of you who don't know, Fred Meyer is the Wal Mart of Washington, but a little nicer. They have everything. It was amazing. I knew I couldn't spend a lot of time there, so I went straight to the sports section.

Bike locks are confusing. I ended up getting one with a "teflon" core, so bad-guys won't be able to cut through the rope. And unfortunately, they didn't carry the bike lock of my dreams: The snake lock.

Oh well :(

 

After that, I biked back along the canal trail, hit up Yak's in Fremont for a chicken and veggie humbow, and made my way back home. All in about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Heaven, you are too cute! It seems like you are getting your life (job, school and such) a little more organized or at least less hectic.

    I'm a little jealous. My bicycle is incapacitated at the moment and it's the perfect biking weather here in Stockton! UGH. Note to self: Get bicycle fixed soon.

    I'm sure you will be a full on Seattleite (giving tourist directions and snubbing Seattle-wanna-be's) very soon!

    ReplyDelete