Wednesday, April 7, 2010

truth.


I was tooling around the internet and I found this image.

I hate when people are like, "wow, my 5 year old could do that!" when observing modern art. Or, as the above states, "I could do that." Again, the thing is, you didn't.

People really do not realize the careful thought and creative process, and struggle that artists go through in order to create a piece, even a simple one.




For example, here is a painting by Mark Rothko. Once you've seen one Mark Rothko, you've seen them all. They consist of rectangular blocks of color, paired together on a canvas. At face value, this is the painting, but so much more has gone into this painting. The colors of each rectangle are chosen very carefully, with color theory working at it's best in order to achieve a certain effect. While it may not be your favorite style of painting, it can still be appreciated, and I think should be appreciated. This is the case with so many modern artists.

I don't know. So much can be said about this subject. It really can be endlessly discussed. (Remind me to write more about "struggle" because I can say so much about that). I guess my point is, just because art doesn't particularly appeal to you, doesn't mean it should be ridiculed.

However, I think that some art probably can qualify as being just plain "bad." I'm not that stuffy. Heh.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. There is a difference between good art and bad art, but just because one don't understand a piece of art doesn't mean it should be qualified as a bad piece of art.

    My husband is going to like this blog post. When he was in art school, he tended to produce art that would be classified as "modern art" and some people just didn't understand it.

    ReplyDelete